Usually, the first thing that comes to mind when a students hears the word college is learning. However, college is much more interesting and versatile than studies. College life embraces various campus and extracurricular activities which students are involved in. Some may ask if such activities are important. Can these activities negatively affect studentsэ academics? Read this article and find all information one should know about college extracurricular activities.
What is an extracurricular activity?
Extracurricular activity is a hobby, work, or any other students activity apart from studies. Doing some extracurricular activities students get the chance to benefit in studies and socializing and organizing skills. College provides students with various kinds of non-academic activities. However, students may also start their own club or organization. Usually, the most common extracurricular students’ activities are as follows:
- Sports. Sport lures down both boys and girls. College football, basketball, baseball, and cheerleaders’ teams never have the lack of participants. Taking part in sporting competitions, students have the chance to gain a reputation of a disciplined and persevering person.
- Any kind of creative activities also attract students. Thus, theatre, literary societies, painting and photography clubs always seem appealing to students.
- Another type of extracurricular activities is activities that are concerned with social issues. Here belong volunteering, community help. Students’ governance. Such activities are very useful for students personal and professional development.
Advantages of extracurricular activities
So, why students should choose some activities? What are the benefits?
- First of all, having some hobbies, students have the possibility to take a rest from studies and relax.
- The next benefit is that doing some activities students establish friendly relations based on similar interests.
- Finally, social college activities form a base for further successful career progress. Not to mention that having a hobby is just fun.